9/21/2013

Different options

I had hoped to run a race while in Fresno. Today’s half marathon seemed to be my only option. But I was deterred by the 7 a.m. start clear across town, the hefty registration fee (the price of new pair of running shoes), nagging lower back pain and a stiff knee, a lack of distance training; and did I mention the 7 a.m. start? Maybe I was also afraid I wouldn’t do well. Instead of competing, I tested my fitness this morning by running 12K at half marathon pace on an empty stomach and with no mid-run rehydrating. I was feeling pretty good about that, and enjoyed the bonus of watching hot air balloons take off from the Clovis fair grounds. Then about a mile before getting back home, I saw runners with bibs coming toward me! They were running a 5K! Had I only known I could have included the race in my long run. Judging by the field, I would even have done quite well. To bad the race wasn’t publicized anywhere.

Gotta run…

No comments: